Casey Shannon Studio Image

The Sound of One Hand: Reaching Beyond the limits of Traditional Ink Painting

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why do I create Sumi-e?

Why does any artist create anything? This is an interesting question. Each artist will have a different and usually very emotional answer.

Here, in short, is my answer to this question. I create for the sheer joy and pleasure of creating. I create for myself. For me, the creative process is spiritually personal and is a meditation. Being still and meditating allows the creative juices in me to start flowing. Creating my art allows me to be in the present right NOW. I focus only on painting and allow all else to fade away. Worries, plans, responsibilities, what I should do, etc. all become less of an immediate presence. In the act of painting, I attain a level of peace that I achieve no place else. Creating is a selfish act most satisfying. I create for me.

That being said, I humbly offer my paintings for others to see and hopefully enjoy. It is my wish that viewers find in my painting a sense of beauty, peace, something that moves them, and a feeling of ‘wow, I really like this’ or ‘jeez, what was she thinking?’ I would hope the first reaction is obtained. Although, whatever one feels about my artwork is OK. Viewers were moved in some way. They may or may not purchase my work. Either is fine. If they do, I am always very pleased. If they do not, that is beautiful too because that was not the painting’s purpose. The painting 'just exists'.

The sumi-e painting you see here is called 'One Pelican Waiting' by Casey Shannon. It was inspired by all the pelicans that swoop and glide in a line across the waves of the ocean. Pelicans are my favorite bird. I always see these wonderful creatures along Highway One as I drive up the coast to the college where I teach. They seem to gather at Moss Landing and greet me as I drive along the road. Seeing them is always such a delight and I look forward to this treat along my journey. A reproduction of my pelican painting can be purchased from my Zazzle Gallery. The original sumi-e can be viewed at Gallery Journey into Art.


4 comments:

  1. First...I love the pelican image. The bird who on land is a little awkward looking but skimming the ocean is a breathtaking creature.

    "Creativity is a lot like looking at the world through a kaleidoscope. You look at a set of elements, the same ones everyone else sees, but then reassemble those floating bits and pieces into an enticing new possibility."
    Rosabeth Moss Kanter

    Painters like you, see the same things as the rest of us...but from these images you create new beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judith.....
    I love the quotes you find!
    And, thank you for your kind words about my painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe there is an innate desire in human beings to create. It comes from our soul. It's like an ancient calling that travels on the air we breathe, where it resides inside of us until the moment arrives where it must be expressed. I am continually fascinated, intrigued and enchanted at the myriad of ways that creativity is perceived. It's alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment astillness8. I believe you are correct about the desire to create.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails