Casey Shannon Studio Image

The Sound of One Hand: Reaching Beyond the limits of Traditional Ink Painting

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Ma (Hemp) Paper

Touching Beach
Sumi-e by Casey Shannon
Sumi (ink) on 12 x 13.5 on Ma Paper 
 
Ma Paper 
I had never painted on Ma (Hemp) paper before I painted this sumi-e. I liked this paper for painting my landscape. This paper is made of wild hemp fibers. It is thin with an elegant natural off white finish. It has fibers showing through the paper which create interest yet the paper is smooth. It is very strong which allows for wet on wet style painting. It is very durable for washes. 
 
Ma Paper is considered a semi-sized paper.. This paper, with it's longer fibers, gives artists the ability to paint wet-on-wet with confidence. A common use for this paper is painting landscapes with washes, clouds, mists and waterfalls. Ma is a favorite of landscape painters because of its ability to handle repetitive washes and shading without pilling or tearing. You can also
use thick, intense color on this paper to achieve lively and vivid results.
 
I got my Ma Paper from Henry at Blue Heron Arts. Henry carries two kinds of Ma Paper. Single and double. Single is very thin yet super strong. Double is thick which can be used for painting or for printing. I have not painted on the double thickness yet but will try it soon. 

You can see more of my recent work using different papers on my website.


Casey Shannon
Director of North America Branch ~ ICCPS
International Chinese Calligraphy and Ink Painting Sociey

国際中国書法国画家協会アメリカ支部:Ms. Casey Shannon アメリカ現代水墨画家
Copyright ©  Casey Shannon Studio Art. All rights reserved


凱西香儂齋
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails