Casey Shannon Studio Image

The Sound of One Hand: Reaching Beyond the limits of Traditional Ink Painting

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Healing Power of Art

Recovery Art from Casey Shannon

The Amazing Power of Art in Healing

I have experienced first hand the amazing power of the creative process in healing. You never really know what life has in store for you. Several years ago, I encountered an event that would change my life forever. I experienced a massive left hemisphere brain-stem stroke four days after my 36th birthday. In an instant, I was paralyzed. I could not breathe, speak, walk, and I lost the use of my dominant right hand. Needless to explain, this was very devastating and the prognosis for my recovery was bleak. I worked very hard in rehabilitation (years actually) and slowly learned to talk again and walk as well, eventually obtaining added assistance with  my licensed service dog, Gabe.

However, I did not recover the use of my dominant right arm and hand. So, I taught myself to draw with my left hand and used this activity and my drawings as an integral part of my stroke recovery. As soon as I could sit up in a wheel chair, I began drawing with a vengeance. I just intuitively knew art would save my life. There is something about the creative process that is absolute healing. I knew this deep inside myself and worked toward recovery with art as healing. 

Here is a wonderful article written by Renee Phillips about the 'Healing Power of Art'. This article was written for 'Professional Artist Magazine' 

Casey Shannon 
Director of North America Branch - ICCPS
International Chinese Calligraphy and Ink Painting Society

国際中国書法国画家協会アメリカ支部:Ms. Casey Shannon アメリカ現代水墨画家

Copyright © Casey Shannon Studio Art. All rights reserved.

凱西香儂齋



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails