Casey Shannon Studio Image

The Sound of One Hand: Reaching Beyond the limits of Traditional Ink Painting

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bamboo of Color


Bamboo of Color

Here is another fairly early sumi-e created with Japanese Watercolor. This painting was created approximately one month following my very first attempt at painting after experiencing my stroke. This painting was a lot of fun to do and a personal spiritual journey into art. At this point in my recovery painting, I felt more 'at one' with the brush. I had done my meditation before starting my artwork. I felt calm and had no preconceived idea about how this sumi-e was to look. I let my brush lead me into the painting rather than trying to force the brush strokes into any shape.

With this painting, I let the spirit of the bamboo talk to me and guide me. I forced nothing and let my idea that I was painting with my non-dominate hand after a devastating stroke just 'be'. This was the first time I had been able to achieve that place and I was pleased with the result. Compared to the first sumi-e I shared with you in my last blog post, I had made serious advancements in my attitude and in my mind and in my painting.

The original framed sumi-e has a happy home in the collection of an art collector in Carmel, CA. The artist seal = Year of the Boar.

Casey Shannon Studio

1 comment:

  1. I like this. It feels very free. Nice to read more about you also. Thanks Casey.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails