Casey Shannon Studio Image

The Sound of One Hand: Reaching Beyond the limits of Traditional Ink Painting

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sumi vs. Sumi-e

Sumi = Ink
Sumi-e = Ink Painting

Ink and wash painting is an East Asian type of brush painting also known as wash painting or by its Japanese name sumi-e (墨絵). Ink and wash painting is also known by its Chinese name shui-mo hua (水墨畫, Japanese suibokuga (水墨画 ), Korean sumukhwa). Only black ink , the same as used in East Asian calligraphy is used, in various concentrations. My Sumi-e above is called Bell Light and is an example of contemporary Sumi-e (ink painting). I have used a bit of blue and silver Japanese watercolor in addition to the Sumi (ink). This Sumi-e is called Bell Light by accomplished artist Casey Shannon. It was inspired by sitting quietly in my garden on a summer day.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite images. I have this piece of art in my office. Everyone who walks by has to stop and comment on the beauty of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased this has brought a sence of beauty to your workplace. Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clarifying the meaning of the words, I'd been confused about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smbhax....you are very welcome. I am pleased that I was able to clear that up for you. :-) Casey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails